A Collection of My Favourite Books
“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”
I've always been an avid reader. I love all things cycling, travelling and military so it's only natural that most of my favourite books are from that genre.
I'm a big Gerald Seymour fan. I've got 13 paperbacks and 2 on Kindle. To nominate my favourite, is a hard call. The Fighting Man, The Journeyman Tailor come very close but my favourite one, coincidently, is the only one from his early stuff that I don't actually have a copy of, Condition Black.
Am also, or rather was, a big Jack Higgins fan. I have 9 paperbacks. And without a doubt my favourite read is A Season In Hell. I bought this in Sydney way back in 1993 and read it non stop on my 13 hour flight to Los Angeles.
My favourite military non-fiction is Legion of the Lost. An American who joined the French Foreign Legion.
This one, an awesome read about British Fell (hill) running.
Very hard to choose my best 'travel' book, but Red Dust is certainly a good read.
As is Jason Elliots 'An Unexpected Light'.
Nick Sanders, moved on from being a cyclist to a motor cyclist yet still I follow his exploits. At almost 60, he is currently alone and off the grid in Mongolia on his Yamaha. Anatomy of an Adventurer is my favourite of his motorbike books and tells the story from his 2010 ride from Alaska to Buenos Aries.
This time, his 'Parallel World' book
'Storm Crow', first in a series of 3, by Jeff Gulvin.
The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, made famous by Mr T Cruise. 'Gone Tomorrow' is, if I have to choose, my best one.
Well, that's my 'top ten' out of the way. Here are the rest:
• Running the Himalayas - Dick and Ados Crane
• It's Not About The Bike - Lance Armstrong
• Touching The Void - Joe Simpson
• Shadows On The Wasteland - Mike Stroud
• The Partner - John Grisham
• The Feather Men - Ranulph Fiennes
• The Anatomy of Restlessness - Bruce Chatwin
• Dark Star Safari - Paul Theroux
• Burmese Days - George Orwell
• Gorky Park - Martin Cruz Smith
• Runaway - Lucy Irvine
• Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
• Into The Wild - Jon Krakauer
• The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
• Riding The Iron Rooster - Paul Theroux
• The Old Patagonia Express - Paul Theroux
• Legionaire - Simon Murray
• Travels with Rosinante - Bernard Magnouloux
• War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
**The images above are my own snap shots but are linked to either the authors own website or the Amazon website where you can purchase. These are NOT affiliated links.